Friday, November 7, 2008

Jane Austen's House - November 7, 2008

Stephanie: On another day trip, we visited Jane Austen's house in Chawton. Mom and I were super excited. Russell and Dad brought along reading material. This house is where Austen spent the last eight years of her life (before moving to Winchester to be near her doctor before she died). It is here she revised three of her novels: Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and Northanger Abbey and wrote the other three: Mansfield Park, Emma, Persuasion. Her writing desk was on display but I was not allowed to sit at it.

The house is as it was when she lived there, with original furniture, clothes, and memorabilia on display. It was such a remarkable experience, as I am a huge fan of hers. I am in awe of her talent and writing abilities, especially when I think about how she wrote: at a small desk, on expensive sheets of paper, constantly dipping her pen into ink. I feel very spoiled (and inferior) having a laptop and delete button (which I use often). I can't imagine writing in longhand, draft after draft. Though now I'm thinking I should try it...

After almost clearing out the gift shop of Jane Austen stuff (tea towels, note cards, mugs, plastic bag holders--you get the picture), we headed to Casandra's Tea Room (named for Austen's sister) across the street for a cream tea. Delightful!

http://www.jane-austens-house-museum.org.uk/

No comments: