Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Steph Visits a Wolf Sancuary - November 4, 2008

Hi ho, Stephanie here:

I got to go on a field trip to a Wolf Sanctuary! I was a little nervous because we had to sign a waiver but it was a really cool experience.



You may wonder what a Wolf Sanctuary has to do with a writing course. Well, it explores the subject of wolves in literature. Apparently they haven't always been portrayed in the best light. We had to watch a video at the beginning to see a history of wolves and how they are viewed and cared for throughout the world. It did make me reconsider the stereotypes of wolves as grandma-eating, house-blowing down, predatory baddies. The sanctuary is one of the only ones in Britain and promotes wolf education and activism. The wolves are allowed to participate in movies and television but only if it portrays them positively.

We hiked out in the sanctuary with the wolves. They were on long chain leashes, held by two handlers each, so I didn't need to worry. Here I am on my meet and greet. I got to rub her belly and stroke her back. She was very calm--just like Nigel, only bigger, hairier and she could rip my hand off if she wanted to. She didn't seem very interested in me though. It was awesome!



No comments: